We are looking for a self-motivated developer who is passionate about remote working, building ambitious applications by contributing both on the front-end and back-end, and automated testing. Help build industry-leading software used by librarians and researchers around the world to help them stay more engaged with their peer-reviewed journals.
Third Iron is dedicated to bringing next-generation technologies to libraries, and was founded by technologists and librarians with broad experience in the information industry. We care deeply about what we are doing and are dedicated to building a great team to support our customers, which includes professors and researchers at world-renowned institutions.
Libraries are going through a rapid transformation, and Third Iron helps libraries provide a great user experience for their patrons. If you have not been in a library lately, you may be surprised how technology is truly at the center of everything a library does. Our multi-platform service, BrowZine, enables academic & research libraries to make their peer-reviewed journals available to their patrons in an easy-to-use interface. Response has been terrific.
As a Senior Full-Stack Developer, you will help make architectural decisions, write automated tests, code the implementation, review code, and collaborate with our team of polyglot programmers for Third Iron’s flagship product, BrowZine <browzine.com>, and its supporting services.
Third Iron is a remote-first company. Everyone contributes remotely, whether software developer, customer support, or sales. We stay tightly in step with the needs of our customers – researchers and librarians – to help them browse, read, discover, and organize scholarly information.
- Contribute to our existing BrowZine Content Management System, written in Node.js and Postgres and used by our internal operations team to manage large amounts of data from our hundreds of library customers
- Help shape and build our API, also written in Node.js
- Contribute to browzine.com, our primary customer-facing product built with Ember.js
- Improve existing features to enhance journal reading for academic librarians and researchers at hundreds of research institutions around the world
- Manage user data stored in CouchDB
- Optimize and help scale our Heroku/AWS cloud-based systems as our customer base continues to grow to ensure solid performance for all users
What We’re Looking For:
- A passion for automated testing, continuous integration, and constantly improving how we do things
- Strong communication skills – since we are a remote team, timely responses and clear communications are essential
- Experience writing test-focused code – we rely on both acceptance-level and unit-level automated tests to ensure we do not have regressions
- High comfort level with source control, especially git
- A self-motivated developer who can work independently, since remote work demands it
- Strong desire to learn new technologies. We want to embrace the tools and techniques that help us build great software and let us sleep soundly at night, knowing our users are having a delightful experience and our servers are not catching fire
- See our software stack on StackShare
- your GitHub or Bitbucket profile
- sample code you can share
- articles & tutorials you have written
- presentations you have given
- Stack Overflow contributions
- bug reports on open source projects
- …or anything else you can share that is indicative of how you best contribute to a team
About Third Iron
Third Iron, founded in 2011 as a remote-first software development company, creates innovative library technologies to help academic libraries and the researchers they support. BrowZine, our flagship service, is used by hundreds of universities, hospitals, corporations and government facilities around the world. Third Iron is a Minnesota, USA, company, but our software development team is distributed throughout the USA. We have been included in a list of the Top Telecommute Companies.
BrowZine is a service that helps researchers browse, read and monitor academic literature. Whether a researcher’s interest is in science/engineering/STEM, social science, humanities, or any other area of study, BrowZine provides them with convenient workflow tool firmly integrated into other library systems to help them keep up with their journal reading.