We are looking for a self-motivated developer who is passionate about remote working, building ambitious web applications, and automated testing. Help with our current products and join us in pioneering new ones for our important customer base: librarians and researchers in academia, healthcare, government, and private organizations who read peer-reviewed research journals.
Third Iron is dedicated to bringing next-generation technologies to libraries, and was founded by technologists and librarians with broad experience in the information industry. We care deeply about what we are doing and are dedicated to building a great team to support our customers, which includes professors and researchers at world-renowned research institutions.
Libraries are going through a rapid transformation and Third Iron is helping libraries transition into the post-PC era and beyond. If you have not been in a library lately, you may be surprised how technology is truly at the center of everything a library does. Our first product, BrowZine, enables academic & research libraries to make their peer-reviewed journals available to their patrons in an easy-to-use interface. Response has been terrific.
As a Senior Software Developer, you will help make architectural decisions, write automated tests, code the implementation, review code, and collaborate with our team of polyglot programmers for Third Iron’s flagship service, BrowZine, and new, future products.
Third Iron is a remote-first company, with everyone from software developers to support and sales contributing remotely. We stay tightly in step with the needs of our customers – researchers and librarians – to help them browse, read, discover, and organize scholarly information.
- Build new features for browzine.com, our flagship web product written in Ember.js, and help create a brand-new product
- Improve existing features to enhance journal reading for academic librarians at hundreds of higher education institutions around the world
- Help shape and build our API, powered by Node.js and adopting many concepts from JSON API 1.0
- Store user data with a combination of industry-standard CouchDB and our own custom back-end tools
- Improve the Content Management System admin site, an internal tool for managing large amounts of data from our hundreds of library customers
Have an interest in more back-end things, too? You can also get your feet wet, or deep dive:
- Stay on top of the latest in our server-side stack, which involves Node, Postgres, and CouchDB. We encourage using the latest APIs, tools, and development techniques. Learn about all the tools we use at our StackShare.
- Optimize and help scale our Heroku/AWS cloud-based systems as our customer base continues to grow to ensure solid performance for all users
Skills & Requirements
What We’re Looking For:
- A passion for automated testing, continuous integration, and constantly improving how we do things
- Strong communication skills – since we are a remote team, timely responses and clear communication is essential
- Experience writing test-focused code – although we are not strictly a TDD shop, we value automated acceptance tests to ensure we do not have regressions
- High comfort level with source control, especially git
- A self-motivated developer who can work independently. Remote work demands it.
- Strong desire to learn new technologies. We want to embrace the tools and techniques that help us build great software and let us sleep soundly at night, knowing our users are having a delightful experience and our servers are not catching fire.
When you apply, please include anything that helps demonstrate your development abilities: your GitHub or Bitbucket profile, sample code you can share, articles or tutorials you have written, Stack Overflow contributions, bug reports on open source projects, or other things you can share that you think are indicative of what you can bring to the team.
About Third Iron, LLC
About Third Iron
Third Iron, founded in 2011 as a remote-first software development company, creates innovative library technologies to help academic libraries and the researchers they support. BrowZine, our flagship product, is used by hundreds of universities, hospitals, corporations and government facilities around the world. Third Iron is a Minnesota, USA, company, but our team is distributed, with only a couple in-person meetups throughout the year to tackle thinking about big new projects. We were even recently included in a list of the Top Telecommute Companies.
BrowZine is a service that helps academic researchers stay up-to-date with their peer reviewed academic literature. Whether a researcher’s interest is in science/engineering/STEM, social science, humanities, or any other area of study, BrowZine provides them with a friendly UI to keep up with their journal reading.
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. We will get back to you shortly!