We are looking for a self-motivated developer who is passionate about remote working, databases and devops, and automated testing. Join our team to help with our current product – BrowZine –and to help pioneer a new product for our important customer base: librarians and researchers in academia, healthcare, government, and private organizations who read peer-reviewed research journals.
Third Iron is dedicated to bringing next-generation technologies to libraries, and was founded by technologists and librarians with broad experience in the information industry. We care deeply about what we are doing and are dedicated to building a great team to support our customers, which includes professors and researchers at world-renowned research institutions.
Libraries are going through a rapid transformation and Third Iron is helping libraries transition into the post-PC era and beyond. If you have not been in a library lately, you may be surprised how technology is truly at the center of everything a library does. Our first product, BrowZine, enables academic & research libraries to make their peer-reviewed journals available to their patrons in an easy-to-use interface. Response has been terrific: http://thirdiron.com/browzine_tweets
As a Senior Software Developer, you will help make architectural decisions, write automated tests, code the implementation, review code, and collaborate with our team of polyglot programmers for Third Iron’s flagship service, BrowZine <http://browzine.com>, and new, future products.
Third Iron is a remote-first company, with everyone from software developers to support and sales contributing remotely. We stay tightly in step with the needs of our customers – researchers and librarians – to help them browse, read, discover, and organize scholarly information.
- Build new features for our existing content management system, written in Node.js and Postgres, used by the Third Iron operations team to support researchers and libraries at hundreds of research institutions around the world
- Improve existing features and automate more of our internal workflow
- Improve speed and performance of our large Postgres database, with data from hundreds of academic research publishers
- Help shape and build our API, powered by Node.js and adopting many concepts from JSON API 1.0
- Stay up-to-date on the latest developments in Node.js, Postgres, CouchDB, continuous integration, and load testing. Learn about all the tools we use at our StackShare: http://stackshare.io/third-iron/third-iron/
- Optimize and help scale our Heroku/AWS cloud-based systems as our customer base continues to grow to ensure solid performance for all users
Skills & Requirements
What We’re Looking For:
- A passion for automated testing, continuous integration, and constantly improving how we do things
- Experience with SQL; we use Postgres to store the majority of our data, and have a strong desire to improve the speed of our externally-facing APIs and internal processes
- Strong communication skills – since we are a remote team, timely responses and clear communication is essential
- Experience writing test-focused code – we rely on both acceptance-level and unit-level automated tests to ensure we do not have regressions
- High comfort level with source control, especially git
- A self-motivated developer who can work independently. Remote work demands it.
- Strong desire to learn new technologies. We want to embrace the tools and techniques that help us build great software and let us sleep soundly at night, knowing our users are having a delightful experience and our servers are not catching fire
When you apply, please include anything that helps demonstrate your development abilities: your GitHub or Bitbucket profile, sample code you can share, articles or tutorials you have written, Stack Overflow contributions, bug reports on open source projects, or other things you can share that you think are indicative of what you can bring to the team.
About Third Iron, LLC
About Third Iron
Third Iron, founded in 2011 as a remote-first software development company, creates innovative library technologies to help academic libraries and the researchers they support. BrowZine, our flagship product, is used by hundreds of universities, hospitals, corporations and government facilities around the world. Third Iron is a Minnesota, USA, company, but our team is distributed, with only a couple in-person meetups throughout the year to tackle thinking about big new projects. We were even recently included in a list of the Top Telecommute Companies: https://www.virtualvocations.com/blog/telecommuting-news/top-telecommute-companies-2016-pt2
BrowZine is a service that helps academic researchers stay up-to-date with their peer reviewed academic literature. Whether a researcher’s interest is in science/engineering/STEM, social science, humanities, or any other area of study, BrowZine provides them with a friendly UI to keep up with their journal reading.
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. We will get back to you shortly!